Monday, January 12, 2009

Quarter 2: Outside Reading Post #14

In the summer of 1983, Amir graduated high school at the age of twenty, by far the oldest senior in the ceremony that day. Baba was very proud of him and took Amir to dinner, than to a bar. At the bar Baba bought everyone pitchers and was the life of the party. While they were driving home from the bar, Baba tells Amir to pull into an alley nearby their apartment, "I took the keys, stunned. I looked from him to the car. I took his hand in mine. Squeezed it. My eyes were tearing over and I was glad for the shadows that hid our faces. 'Thank you, Baba'" (Hosseini 133). The gift from Baba was a car, this car enabled Amir to get around by himself and also let him go on long drives and have adventures. For example he was go on long drives up and down the ocean front and watch the sunrise or sunset. While he was looking at the ocean, he always thought of the movies he watch as a kid with Hassan, and how he told Hassan that he would bring him to the ocean and they planned trips around visiting the ocean. One day Amir told Baba that he was going to go to community college and there he was going to major in English and Creative Writing. Of course, Baba did not agree with Amir's decision because he did not believe that writing fictional stories was a true career. Since Amir's writing meant so much to him, after their discussion he thought, "But i would stand my ground, I decided. I didn't want to sacrifice for Baba anymore" (Hosseini 135). I think it is good that Amir is finally standing up for himself, but I also think that it will create tensions between to two.

No comments: