Friday, January 2, 2009

Quarter 2: Outside Reading Post #9

The next morning Amir did something unimaginable, "I waited in my room for Ali to clear the breakfast table in the kitchen. I looked out my bedroom window and waited until Ali and Hassan went grocery shopping to the bazaar, pushing the empty wheelbarrows in front of them. Then I took a couple of the envelopes of cash from the pile of gifts and my watch, and tiptoed out... I went downstairs, crossed the yard, and entered Ali and Hassan's living quarters. I lifted Hassan's mattress and planted my new watch and a handful of Afghani bills under it" (Hosseini 104). Later that day Baba called Amir into his office and talked to him about Hassan. Then Hassan and Ali came in and Baba asked Hassan if he had stolen the watch and money from Amir. Being a good servent and extremely loyal, Hassan said that he did steel them. Since Baba and Ali have known each other for such a long time, Baba pardoned Hassan's crime so that they could still be their servants. But knowing all of the events that have happened recently between Hassan and Amir, Ali said that they were leaving to go work for someone else because Hassan could no longer survive in that household. So they left, and the last time Amir saw Hassan was in the back of Baba's car on a rainy day. Even though the goal of Amir was to have Hassan no longer bother hin, I think that he was gravely regret his decision later on in life because Hassan was such a good friend to him and was such a big part of his childhood life.

No comments: